“Hotter vs Cooler” & “Sweeter vs Bitter”: the algorithm for contradictory situations. These are the thoughts I always remind while drinking a Caipirinha, the Brazilian national drink. I read it reflects the country extremes. On one hand you have the coolness of the ice against the heat of the spirit (cachaça); on the other one, the sweetness of the sugar versus the bitterness of the lime.
I include instructions for preparing it!
1. Slice half a lime in 2 or 4 pieces.
2. Put one tablespoon of sugar in a glass.
3. Add the sliced lime and squeeze with a pestle.
4. Add crushed ice to the rim.
5. Add cachaça and stir it.
5.1. Use vodka instead and you’ll have a Caipiroska.
5.2. Use white rum instead and you’ll have a Caipirisima.
6. Drink with moderation.
7. Repeat the process if still thirsty.